Re: Debian package from scratch, git to pristine-tar

On Sat, Jul 07, 2018 at 10:38:51PM -0400, Tong Sun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question following
> https://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/gbp.import.upstream-git.html
> ,
>
> > If upstream doesn't build upstream tarballs, or you don't care about
> them, the simplest way is to clone upstream's repository and create a
> separate packaging branch in there. You will not need gbp import-orig at
> all with this workflow. gbp buildpackage will handle creating the upstream
> tarballs needed for the Debian source package.
>
> I cannot make it happening, no matter what I tried.
> How to make gbp buildpackage create the upstream tarballs and commit the
> generated tarball back to the pristine-tar branch?
>
> Here is my trial log, and you can see that nothing that I tried works:

If it would be easy, everbody would do it

> *please help. thx. *

`gbp clone URL` is only intended for URL which has gbp information.

That is why `gbp clone https://github.com/neurobin/shc.git`
is a start in the wrong direction.

Direction to go:   Take a detour

Do `gbp clone EXISTING_GBP_REPO` and check which branches it has.
Then work on a "fresh git repo" where you add branches.

My apology for being terse.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--