Re: VCS repositories

On Tue, 29 May 2018 06:18:44 +0000, Warlich, Christof wrote:

> I'm a bit desperate to find out how the Debian project maintains
> its patches w.r.t. upstream repositories. Thus, while I can explore
> the _current_ patches of a package by looking at the
> "*.debian.tar.gz"-archive after obtaining its sources through
> "apt-get source <package-name>",  I'd be rather interested in both
> history and future of these patches along the lifetime of a Debian
> releases' maintainance period.

That's indeed not that easy.
Apart from "apt-get source <package-name>" ...

> At the first glance, things look quite straight forward: Starting
> with, say, the "glibc"-package, an "apt-get source glibc" tells me
> that I may get the git repo of the related Debian patches by
> cloning https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-glibc/glibc.git. But as
> it turns out, this (and some other Debian) hosts went offline as
> they are being replaced by https://salsa.debian.org. So I finally
> get what I am looking for by cloning
> https://salsa.debian.org/glibc-team/glibc.git. Great.

... VCS repositories might exist. Unfortunately, as you noticed, the
information about them is kept in debian/control in the source
package which means that it can get outdated. - If you want to find
out repo locations, besides looking into the source package and using
the already mentioned debcheckout, the values are also published on
tracker: e.g. https://tracker.debian.org/glibc

Another useful resource besides snapshots.d.o is sources.debian.org,
e.g. for binutils: https://sources.debian.org/src/binutils/

sources.d.o also exposes patches directly, e.g.
https://sources.debian.org/patches/binutils/ or for the version in
sid https://sources.debian.org/patches/binutils/2.30-20/

And there's also an API; cf. https://sources.debian.org/doc/url/ and
https://sources.debian.org/doc/api/

> So finally, here is my question: When may I expect that
> VCS-repositories for all Debian packages may be available through
> https://salsa.debian.org (including updates of the packages to
> point to the new repository location on https://salsa.debian.org as
> printed by "apt-get source")

These very good questions hint at at least 2 problems:
- The one mentioned above that the Vcs-* info is kept in the source
  package and is therefor only updated in a new upload.
- The more general one:
  There is no requirement for maintainers to keep their source
  packages in git on salsa.
  There is no requirement for maintainers to keep their source
  packages in git in general.
  There is no requirement for maintainers to keep their source
  packages in any VCS at all.
  As long as this policy doesn't change the only canonical location
  for source packages is the archive itself, and apt-get source and
  sources.d.o the only reliable interfaces.

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe