Re: Getting a fix into a package? What am I doing wrong?

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 6:01 PM, Luke Diamand wrote:

> I'm obviously doing something terribly wrong, but I have no idea what.

I don't think you did anything wrong.

> Can someone tell me the correct process for getting a bug fix in?

Exactly what you did so far.

I think the problem here is that there are more than 400 bug reports
filed against git and the Debian package maintainer doesn't have the
time to triage them all at every upload to see which ones are easy to
fix. In addition they probably have lots of other packages to attend
to, as well as real life.

You could try to triage the git bugs and do as much as you can with
each bug (checking if they got fixed, diagnosing symptoms, coming up
with patches, forwarding upstream etc). This would help reduce their
workload.

https://wiki.debian.org/BugTriage

You could try to contact the most active person (Jonathan Nieder) via
mechanisms other than email, like IRC.

In the meantime, there is an easy workaround: copy the script out of
the git source tree and use it.

> Would it be better to just create a completely new package? How do I do that?

git-p4 is part of the git project, so that would mean duplicating the
git source package, which is generally not an acceptable solution.

PS: you might want to move off p4 if you can, since it is a proprietary VCS.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise