Question concerning BTS, my own patch and upstream bugfix

Hi,

just a short Question how to handle following situation properly

I'm about to adopt the storebackup package and fixed bug #893812 by
including a patch into the package. While waiting for a sponsor I got
the information from the upstream author, that he'd fixed that bug in
his next release, but it's not clear when he will release the next
version, because there's still other work to be done.

The question is:
How should I deal with this patch?

* Leave it inside my current package (ver 3.5-2), close the bug via
  (Closes: #893812) in d/changelog and remove the patch with the next
  upstream release
or
* Remove the patch from my package, don't close the bug and wait for the
  next upstream release?

What would you do?

Regards,
    Olly