What problem might happen when bumping soname without adding Conflicts:/Breaks:?

Hello debian-devel and mentors,

Recently I found a disagreement with my mentor about proper handling of
library transition (bumping SONAME) and we agreed that we need some
suggestions.

Transition documentation (written by Release Team) can be found at [1].

Some quick facts:

* We have a libdframeworkdbus1 with soname 1; it is a standard Multi-Arch
library:

    % dpkg -L libdframeworkdbus1
    /.
    /usr
    /usr/lib
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdframeworkdbus.so.1.0.0
    /usr/share
    /usr/share/doc
    /usr/share/doc/libdframeworkdbus1
    /usr/share/doc/libdframeworkdbus1/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/libdframeworkdbus1/changelog.gz
    /usr/share/doc/libdframeworkdbus1/copyright
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdframeworkdbus.so.1
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdframeworkdbus.so.1.0
    /usr/share/doc/libdframeworkdbus1/CHANGELOG.md.gz

* Upstream released new version and bumped SONAME to 2
* -dev package didn't change its name
* My mentor suggests that the new library package (libdframeworkdbus2) should
add the relationship "Conflicts: libdframeworkdbus1"

...and such necessity is not reflected in the documentation. My personal
thought is that with "smooth updates" (as described in [1]), the old library
and the new library (with different SONAME) should be able to installed
simultaneously on any Debian Unstable / Debian Testing system without any
problem during the transition. If that is true, the "Conflicts:" relationship
shouldn't appear. The "Replaces:" relationship [2] should not appear as well
because there won't be any file conflcts.

We'd like to know that with transitions for library soname bump, is
"Conflicts:" relationship needed / not needed in all circumstances and what
problem might users / developers encounter if it is added / not added.

Thank you very much.

--
Regards,
Boyuan Yang