dch "eating" changelog entries?

Hi!

I am co-maintaining bacula with Carsten Leonhardt and this problem now
occured several times for me. (Most probably because of misuse by me,
but I want to understand what went wrong.)

Take the following debian/changelog file for example:

---------------8<--------------------------------
foobar (1.0-3) UNRELEASED; urgency=medium

  * Third

 --

foobar (1.0-2) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Second

 -- Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de>  Mon, 05 Mar 2018 22:31:33 +0100

foobar (1.0-1) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Initial release.

 -- Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de>  Mon, 05 Mar 2018 22:31:03 +0100
---------------8<--------------------------------

Note how the last entry is unfinished, because of ongoing development.
When I now call "dch" to add another entry, the editor looks like this:

  *

 --

foobar (1.0-1) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Initial release.

 -- Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de>  Mon, 05 Mar 2018 22:31:03 +0100
---------------8<--------------------------------

See how the entry for foobar_1.0-2 is completely missing?

dch of course complains loudly:

,----
| dch: warning:     debian/changelog(l5): badly formatted trailer line
| LINE:  --
| dch: warning:     debian/changelog(l7): found start of entry where expected more change data or trailer
| LINE: foobar (1.0-2) unstable; urgency=medium
| dch: warning:     debian/changelog(l7): found end of file where expected more change data or trailer
`----

Of course one shouldn't dismiss such warnings easily and a bit more
attention to what the tools tell us is necessary, but I still find it
surprising that the next-to-last entry just vanishes without a trace.

Only using "dch -e" does not damage the changelog, but since this only
opens an editor without doing anything else this is not surprising.

Any thoughts?

Grüße,
Sven.

--