Using meson from debhelper when configure.ac is present

Hi,

    In my ITP for bali-phy, I ran into an issue, and I am wondering if there is a recommended way to resolve it.  The upstream source has both a meson build system and an autotools build system, but I would like to use the meson build system to build the debian package.

    Debhelper won't use the meson build system if configure.ac is present.  Is there a recommended way to force build using meson instead of autotools?

-thanks!

-BenRI