build-depends for different distro releases

   I'm updating the packaging for a software package for debian and ubuntu (via neurodebian). The src package will build (using cowbuilder) under ubuntu xenial and debian jessie.

   Under stretch, the build fails while updating build-deps:

 pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy :
     Depends: libvtk5-dev which is a virtual package and is not provided by any available package
     Depends: libpng12-dev which is a virtual package and is not provided by any available package

   It seems that under stretch, libvtk5 has been replaced by libvtk6, and libpng12 by libpng16.

   How can I express this in a single control file? In other words, my control file has the following (which works under debian/jessie and ubuntu/xenial):

Under xenial/jessie the following is in debian/control:

Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5), libqt4-dev (>= 4.3), libqt4-opengl-dev | libqt4-dev (<< 4.4.0), libqwt5-qt4-dev, libvtk5-dev, libminc-dev, libqtassistantclient-dev, libpng12-dev, cmake

It seems that I need to have this line be different under debian/stretch:

Under xenial/jessie the following is in debian/control:

Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5), libqt4-dev (>= 4.3), libqt4-opengl-dev | libqt4-dev (<< 4.4.0), libqwt5-qt4-dev, libvtk6-dev, libminc-dev, libqtassistantclient-dev, libpng16-dev, cmake

Dan

--
Daniel J. Sperka, Ph. D.
UC Davis Center for Neuroscience