Re: Package EOL checklist

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 1:36 AM, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:

> Does it have revdeps or not? If it does, you can't just remove it. If it
> doesn't, I'd say don't maintain libs which no one needs.

There is one reverse dependency:

$ ssh mirror.ftp-master.debian.org dak rm -s unstable -Rn libmrss
Checking reverse dependencies...
# Broken Depends:
rsstail: rsstail

# Broken Build-Depends:
rsstail: libmrss0-dev

Dependency problem found.

I would suggest you talk to rsstail and libmrss upstreams about
transferring upstream maintainership of libmrss from the current
location to one where the rsstail upstream has write access (and the
original maintainer has access too, just in case). Once the move is
done, the original author can redirect the website/etc. Make sure
everything is transferred from the old location to the new one,
including the CVS repository, the tarballs and the documentation. If
moving to github where rsstail is, the CVS repository could be
converted to git, the tarballs could be attached to git tags and the
documentation is probably already in CVS but if not it could be added
to git or converted to a README.md and added to git.

The CVS to git conversion will work like this:

The CVS repo is currently offline. The libmrss upstream (or the
ippolita.net admins) should send a copy of the repository to the
person who is doing the conversion.

Prepare a cvs2git-authors file containing the CVS logins of committers
and how the corresponding git commit authors/committers should be
represented, for eg:

pabs=Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>

git cvsimport -A cvs2git-authors -akmRv -d libmrss-CVS -C libmrss-git
-o master libmrss &> log

If libmrss upstream cannot access the CVS repository any more then the
procedure is a bit more involved and you will have to download each of
the tarballs and import them in order, adding a git tag for each one.
If it comes to it, you can adapt the tar2git script I have attached
for this. I used the script to convert the whowatch tarball history to
git.

Once the git conversion is done and there are git tags corresponding
to each tarball, then the person doing the conversion should attach
each tarball to the corresponding git tag using the github interface.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise