Re: Fixing incorrect .orig

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 10:45:38PM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> Anyway, the question is, what's the best way to fix this?  I can't
> upload a new .orig until the upstream part of the version number is
> bumped - right?, because any -n debian suffix assumes the same .orig
> for the base base version IIRC. Or is there some way to do this?
[…]
> Or should I just reupload 16.0 as 16.0.0 ? dpkg --compare-versions
> tells me that 16.0-3 is less than 16.0.0-1 so that should work. This
> seems like the best plan, but I wondered if there was anything
> niftier?

There is a very crafty and very shady way you can use to work around
this, but note that it may lead to confusions to people, as then there
will be two "upstream orig tarballs" with the same version.

You just need to repack it differently.  So, say you uploaded a 16.0-1
with foo_16.0.orig.tar.gz which is the wrong one, then you can just do
a 16.0-2 upload with foo_16.0.orig.tar.xz which is the right one.  You
need to pay some attention to what dpkg-source picks up while building
the source package, but if you just throw away the old wrong one it
should just work out.  Also, you of course need to remember to build the
.changes with -sa as you need to force the inclusion of the new .orig.

Again, it's a very shady practice, I'd really avoid it and simply use
16.0+ds even if it's untrue.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo