Re: Changes coming with VCS for Debian packaging

On Saturday, December 30 2017, Gabriel F. T. Gomes wrote:

> On 30 Dec 2017, Ben Finney wrote:
>
>>"Gabriel F. T. Gomes" <gabriel@inconstante.eti.br> writes:
>>
>>> Not really.  If I understood it correctly, anonscm.debian.org is
>>> alioth, which was being decomissioned when I started to work on
>>> this.
>>
>>The name ‘anonscm.debian.org’ was explicitly det up so that it could
>>survive changes to a different host, by serving whatever is the current
>>VCS service at the same domain.
>>
>>So, the statement “anonscm.debian.org is Alioth” is only incidentally
>>true today; that name should continue to serve repositories when they
>>move to Salsa, and whatever comes after Salsa.
>
> OK.  Thanks for the clarification.
>
>>Sadly, the decommission of Alioth has apparently not taken that change
>>into account. We are discussing it on the ‘debian-devel’ forum, but
>>without a solution so far.
>
> Since it's still under discussion, I'm thinking about filling the Vcs-*
> fields for bash-completion to salsa.debian.org.  Once a solution is
> reached and anonscm.debian.org points to the new server, I can make new
> changes to the Vcs-* fields.
>
> I understand that this solution only works for me, because I only
> maintain a couple of packages.  Does it sound good to you?

The name "anonscm.debian.org" may be kept, but it is probable that the
URL scheme will change.  Today we URLs like:

  https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/package.git

However, this is specific to cgit, and not gitlat.  I don't know and
haven't seen anywhere if there will be a URL translation performed, so
for now I'd recommend sticking with "salsa.d.o".

>>> I just noticed that alioth's replacement, salsa.debian.org, is up.
>>> So maybe I should move this repository, now.
>>
>>Yes, that seems to be a good idea. The matter of what happens to
>>‘anonscm.debian.org’ is a separate one, and should not stop you from
>>migrating the VCS repository.
>
> I have it set up on my personal workspace [1], however, as mentioned by
> Sergio [2], I should ask a DD to move this repository to the "Debian"
> group.
>
> Actually, I have two question about this move:
>
> 1. Where do I ask for the help of a DD? (debian devel? mentors?)

I think Ben himself is a DD.  Maybe he can create it for you?

> 2. Even though I read the discussions about salsa on debian-devel, I
> still do not know how to name the repository.  When browsing the
> projects under the Debian group, I got the impression that the project
> name is usually the same name as the package itself.  So, in
> bash-completion's case, I should probably ask for the "-debian" suffix
> to be removed from the project name.

Agree, I don't see the reason to keep the "-debian" suffix.

Cheers,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36