Re: Adequate reports obsolete conffiles: and now what?

Hi,

On 21/01/17 09:51, Alec Leamas wrote:
> The new, shiny lirc 0.9.4 has received a bug report #851618. At the
> core, this is about adequate reporting
>
> lirc: obsolete-conffile /etc/lirc/irexec.lircrc
> lirc: obsolete-conffile /etc/lirc/lircmd.conf
> lirc: obsolete-conffile /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
> lirc: obsolete-conffile /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
> lirc: obsolete-conffile /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf
>
> However, all of these files exists for a purpose and are not obsolete.

By definition, an obsolete conffile is a file which used to be a
conffile, isn't in a new package version, but wasn't moved/removed on
upgrade.

> The details:
>
> - hardware.conf is indeed obsolete in 0.9.4. However, the manual,
> breaking update is about moving bits and pieces from hardware,conf to
> other files, so it needs to be around for some cycles  before it's removed.

Removing a conffile with dpkg-maintscript-helper will actually move it
(to xxx.dpkg-back) if it was modified, so I think you can safely remove
this as users will still be able to refer to it later.

> - For the other files I'm using my own scheme: The upstream files are
> installed as e. g.,lirc_options.conf.dist. This file is updated but not
> used. If the actually used lirc_options.conf is missing it's created as
> a copy of the *dist file, but otherwise kept as-is.. In other words, I
> don't try to merge possible upstream changes, I just keep the *dist
> files around as reference

Isn't this the problem conffiles was meant to solve? Dpkg will ask the
user before updating those config files and not touching them is the
default option. This will also warn the user when they may need to
update them anyway (eg new features).

I guess this is a maintainer decision on how they want to do this (even
if I think it's a bad idea) so using .dist files is still OK. In this
case, and as long as you're sure your maintainer scripts always do the
right thing, you can ignore adequate. However I think the .dist files
should be installed in /usr/share and copied from there instead of being
installed in /etc. Presumably these .dist files have been (incorrectly)
marked as conffiles already?

> Since the overall idea is that the adequate (or really dpkg) error
> message is a bug: How should I resolve this bug?

James