Re: BTS and unreleased changelog entries

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 02:14:30PM -0700, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 11:53:25PM +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> > It's not BTS, it's dpkg-genchanges. Pass a proper -v to the command you
> > use to build the package.
>
> Thanks for the hint.  dpkg-genchanges(1) says -c requires a version.  Is
                                             ~~~~^
                            I'll assume this is a typo and you meant -v
> there a downside to always starting from the first release?

Yes, you'd always be putting in the .changes all of the changelog, spam
debian-devel-changes@ with all the changelog all of the time, and trying
to close all the bugs you closed in the past with every each upload.

Rather, I have a counter-question for you: why are you keeping entries
for unreleased uploads in d/changelog?  I find it rather confusing,
mostly useless and with no real upsides as opposed to cohalesce the
entries.

To avoid doubts: the -v option is there because of how in the past NMUs,
experimental uploads (and few other things) were handled.  And currently
it's useful for backports (despite (sadly, imho) not required anymore),
and for stable uploads when the upload takes all the uploads done to
unstable, not to deal with UNRELEASED entries.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :