Re: dh_installdocs --link-doc not allowed between arch dep & arch indep?

أحمد المحمودي:
> Hello
>
> The package pcb builds 2 arch. dependent packages (pcb-gtk & pcb-lesstif) and an arch independent package (pcb-common) which contains data and documentation. Hence the arch. dependent packages depend on this arch independent package.
>
> Previously I ran:
> dh_installdocs --link-doc=pcb-common
>
> which worked fine, yet after updating to compat level  10, I get the build error:
>
> dh_installdocs: --link-doc not allowed between pcb-gtk and pcb-common (one is arch:all and the other not)
>
> I checked the manpage which mentions that a link from arch. dependent to arch. independent will not work, what is the reason for this? Especially that my use case seems very sensible. Is there a workaround?
>
> Please reply me directly since I am not subscribed to the list.

Hi,

Please note that --link-doc between arch:any and arch:all does not
actually work (correctly) in compat 9 either.  You get silent breakage
in some cases (notably binNMUs).  The primary difference is that compat
10 stops you from doing it.

Please see the following link for a longer description:

Thanks,
~Niels