Autopkgtest for goocanvas

Hi Mentors,

Now that lintian reminds me every time, I feel guilty and I am trying to
provide an autopkgtest for goocanvas-2.0.

The problem is that my lack of C foo is letting me down. So far (cribbed
from other examples on debian codesearch), I have the following skeleton
of a smoke test:

---------------
#!/bin/sh
set -e

cd "$ADTTMP"
cat > test.c << EOF
#include <goocanvas-2.0/goocanvas.h>

int main(void)
{
        goo_canvas_new();
        return 0;
}

EOF
gcc -Wall -o test test.c $(pkg-config --cflags goocanvas-2.0) \
        $(pkg-config --libs goocanvas-2.0)
./test
objdump -p test | grep "goocanvas-2.0"

I have tried umpteen different variations of a "main" function based on
the goocanvas docs:
https://developer.gnome.org/goocanvas/unstable/index.html

Running ./test crashes every time :-)

Can someone please put me out of my misery, and suggest a short bit of
code to create a simple goocanvas item?

In the mean time, I will create one for the gir package (I am a bit more
comfortable with python).

Regards,

Ross