Re: installing GUI launchers and mimes

__________
I'm using this express-made address because personal addresses aren't
masked enough at this mail public archive. Public archive administrator
should fix this against automated addresses collectors.
El 31/07/17 a les 03:23, Charles Plessy ha escrit:
> Le Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 11:55:20AM +0200, Narcis Garcia a écrit :
>>
>> Do you mean that with only having at the package:
>> ./usr/share/applications/xxx.desktop
>> ./usr/share/mime/packages/xxx.xml
>> triggers are automatically run?
>
> Hello Narcis,
>
> yes they will:
>
> 	$ grep usr/share/applications /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File
> 	/usr/share/applications mime-support/noawait
> 	/usr/share/applications desktop-file-utils
> 	/usr/share/applications gnome-menus/noawait
>
> 	$ grep usr/share/mime/packages /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File
> 	/usr/share/mime/packages shared-mime-info
>
> See /usr/share/doc/dpkg-dev/triggers.txt.gz for (a lot of) details.
>
>> Why transmission-gtk/postinst calls update-menus and update-mime ? Is it
>> some kind of compatibility measure?
>
> The short answer is: "because transmission-gtk/postinst is generated by debhelper
> fia dh_installmenu".
>
> 	$ cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/transmission-gtk.postinst
> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	set -e
> 	# Automatically added by dh_installmenu
> 	if [ "$1" = "configure" ] && [ -x "`which update-menus 2>/dev/null`" ]; then
> 		update-menus
> 	fi
>
> I am not sure why this is still needed while there is already a dpkg trigger
> doing the work.
>
> Anyway, as noted elsewhere, the Debian menu system is being phased out.
>
> Have a nice day,

Thanks, this is really useful information.
I suppose "Debian menu system" is not the same as what xdg-desktop-menu
manages (?) because it currently works perfectly to manually install any
launcher on any desktop on any distro.