Re: Depends xxx <- Version: 3:20161105-1

Hi,

On 09/06/17 12:54, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> Hello, I'm trying to build a package that depends on another one
> (iputils-ping), but the other's version in Debian is marked with a
> notation I don't know:
> 3:20161105-1
>
> - Which is this software's version? 3?

This is documented in debian-policy:
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version

The upstream version is "20161105". The epoch is "3" and is used to
change the version scheme at a later date.

> - What is the best formula for "control" file in my new package, having
> present that any version is useful for me since 3:20020927 from
> Debian-Sarge or older if there was?
>
> Depends: iputils-ping (>= 3)
> Depends: iputils-ping (>= 20020927)
> Depends: iputils-ping (>= 3:20020927)

The last one is the only one which will do what you want. However, it's
not worth it to specify dependency versions which only matter for
prehistoric Debian releases, so the best thing to do would just be:

Depends: iputils-ping

Thanks,
James