Re: how best to package when using hardware vectorization with vector-unit specific code?

On 2017-05-10 13:56 +0200, Christian Seiler wrote:
> On 05/10/2017 11:52 AM, Wookey wrote:
> > Debian requires packages to run on the base level ISA defined for each
> > architecture (which does change slowly over time).
>
> Well, kind of. What Debian requires is that if it is at all feasible
> software should run on the base ISA - which in practice means that
> very often the software is only compiled for the base ISA itself,
> resulting in the binaries being slower than they need to be on more
> modern hardware.
>
> However, there are a couple of packages that can't easily be ported
> to the base ISA (such as packages that use tons of SSE assembly), and
> in this case the consensus was that it's better to have the packages
> in Debian at all, even if they aren't available for all users.

Yes. You put that much better than I did.

By 'must run on the base ISA', what I mean is that if it can't, but is
still useful for many, then it should give a sensible error (as you
point out), rather than just exploding. So upstream/packagers have to
do _something_ to check for the optional features used and run
corresponding code accordingly, even if the fallback code is just
"This program cannot run here".

Wookey
http://wookware.org/