Re: Problems with autoconf in pftools

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 17:28, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Thanks.  This helped over the autoconf hurdle.  However, it sounds
> pretty strange why documented functions stop working since an extra
> macro set is missing.  I'd call this bad (broken at design).

Meh, no opinion on the design being broken or not, but it is a best
practice to fully document all your autofoo dependencies textually
somewhere, be it at the top of configure.ac, or in
autogen.sh/bootstrap.sh, or in some sort of README or INSTALL file.

Also, it is a best practice to distribute the copies of the
autoconf-archive macros used by the project under m4/ (or some other
subdir where the project stores its own autoconf macros, refer to
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR) for aclocal to pick them up when autoreconf'ing.

Note that autoconf macros sourced from the autoconf archive have a
standard header and they're versioned.  There is no automated machinery
to refresh them when outdated either upstream or in debian (no,
autoreconf doesn't do it), so it has to be done manually.  Don't
downgrade such a macro, unless you really know what you are doing.

--
  Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>