Re: Packaging a gui app

On 2017-02-26 at 10:47, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:

> On Sun, 2017-02-26 at 10:15 -0500, matt jones wrote:
>
>> I am packaging a gui that has dependencies for qt and such. How do
>> I go about ensuring that X is available as well? Do I list that as
>> a dependency as well. The upstream maintainers don’t call it out
>> specifically but it is understood. Links to docs are always
>> welcome.
>
> Usually, the toolkit your application depends on (here Qt), will
> bring the necessary dependencies for you. So you don't need to care
> about X.

I recall that historically the rule was "you don't depend on having X
packages installed" regardless, on the grounds that it is or was
possible to connect to an X instance running on a different machine (it
is called "the X server", after all) - but I don't spot that in current
policy, and I do seem to remember reading discussion about repealing
that rule on the grounds that doing this hasn't actually _worked_ in
modern X for years if not longer.

--
   The Wanderer