Re: RFC: jbig2enc -- JBIG2 encoder

Hi Rogério,

My suggestions:

1. d/changelog:

- You don't need to put each change in d/changelog, considering that
this is a initial release. However, it isn't wrong.

- The bug #512518 is already closed.

2. d/copyright:

- The copyright notice is for Google Inc., not for Adam Langley. So,
IMO, Google should be mentioned in d/copyright. Adam's name is
optional (can be mentioned).

- The start date for Google is 2006 (file COPYING).

- If you want to quote all authors, there is another person: Radim
Hatlapatka (file src/jbig2comparator.h).

- To find all authors, you can use:

$ egrep -sriA25 '(copyright|public dom)' *

3. d/manpage.1.ex

- The .ex suffix must be removed.

- I suggest rename to jbig2enc.1

- You need a d/manpages file to install the manpage (currently, your
package have not a manpage). ($ man dh_installman)

- You can use txt2man to generate manpages easilly. (read the manpage
- is short)

4. d/rules:

- There are some trash in d/rules.My suggestion is to remove the
following lines: 2, 3, 6 (blank), 7, 10-15, 20-25.

- Considering that you are using DH 10, the '--with autoreconf' addon
is dispensable because DH 10 already implements autoreconf by default.

5. Is a good practice only create overrides for lintians when getting
false positives. So, I think that the debian/source/lintian-overrides
should be dropped.

6. d/watch: the first line can be dropped to save space inside the servers.

7. After build, I can see:

dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if
debian/jbig2enc/usr/bin/jbig2 was not linked against libpng16.so.16
(it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if
debian/jbig2enc/usr/bin/jbig2 was not linked against libz.so.1 (it
uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if
debian/libjbig2enc0/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjbig2enc.so.0.0.28 was
not linked against libz.so.1 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if
debian/libjbig2enc0/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjbig2enc.so.0.0.28 was
not linked against libpng16.so.16 (it uses none of the library's
symbols)

You can fix some warnings with the following line in d/rules:

export DEB_LDFLAGS_MAINT_APPEND = -Wl,--as-needed

I also can see the following warnings:

dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package jbig2enc: unknown
substitution variable ${python:Depends}
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package jbig2enc: unknown
substitution variable ${python:Depends}
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package libjbig2enc0:
unknown substitution variable ${python:Depends}
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package libjbig2enc0:
unknown substitution variable ${python:Depends}
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package libjbig2enc-dev:
unknown substitution variable ${python:Depends}
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package libjbig2enc-dev:
unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}

In final packages I can't see anytihing about Python. Are you sure
that Python addons and depends are needed for this source?

Good lucky!

Regards,

Eriberto