Re: Looking for sponsoring/menthoring : openmeca package [ITP: #850590]

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 10:27:45AM +0100, dada wrote:
> ** What I have already done for packaging openmeca **
>
>  - open an ITP (see
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=850590).
>    Andreas Tille (from debian-science) tell me that the soft fit well with
> the debian-science field.

good.

>  - open a git repository for openmeca on alioth :
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/openmeca.git/
>    post a first version of the openmeca package on this git repository.
>    This package seems to be right on my personal computer (Ubuntu 16.04.1
> LTS and checked with "gbp buildpackage")

good.  (although you really should build it in Debian unstable, and
test it there too).

>  - post an intent on the debian science list (see
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2017/01/msg00093.html)
>    but I have no answer.

That's not an "intent" really, it's a forward of your ITP with "some"
added text.

> As I have no answer from the debian-science list (probably they have no
> time), I post my request on this list.

1) consider that 4 days are really little, also considering a week end
   was in the middle
2) the subject was really poor: most of use receive *a lot* of emails
   and subjects are important; I probably skipped that email thinking it
   was just a "FYI" of an ITP related to -science.

> I am not used with the Debian policy so... please tell me if I am wrong,
> impatient, or something else....

The usual procedure (especially if the team have nothing else in place)
is to open a RFS bug.  I invite you to read
https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers especially from point 5
onward; mentors.d.n also gives you a template for the RFS bug (see point
4). (note that even if you'll have to upload a source packages to
mentors.d.n, several of us still prefer to review using a git
repository, so please include that too in the request).
The reason to prefer an RFS bug over emails is that they don't get lost:
several of us look at https://bugs.debian.org/sponsorship-requests from
time to time and take care of pending request, whereas emails in a
mailing list are much harder to keep track of.

Now, you don't have any package already in the archive, so my personal
policy (https://people.debian.org/~mattia/sponsoring.html) "forbids" me
to sponsoring the package, but I trust there are several other
developers willing to do so :)  I just wanted to explain better the
usual procedure ^^

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo