Re: ppc64-diag-2.7.1 and Ubuntu delta VS stretch

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 16:10:46 +0000 (UTC), Gianfranco Costamagna <locutusofborg@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >Would it be possible to do a  2.7.1-6 version of the package in unstable
> >with the patches from Zesty so that we have this improvement in stretch,
> >even if 2.7.3 is available ? Or do I need to have to upgrade to the very
> >latest version available that is 2.7.3 ?
>

> this is up to you, a -6 has high chances to go in Stretch, because I don't foresee issues
> with some patch. 2.7.3 might introduce regressions, and in case you will have to eventually
> fix the rc bugs.

ok great,  I was  just convinced  that any package  upgrade that  can be
submitted should  be based on the  latest version which makes  sense for
unstable but less when it comes to transitioning to stable.

> there is still some time left, so you might do whatever you prefer, based on your
> judgement about the stability of the new release

Yes, those patches  have been well tested internally by  IBM on 2.7.1 so
that's a safe bet.

> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianStretch
>
> whatever should migrate *before*
> 05/02/2017 (so the upload should be more than 10 days before), and there won't be any exception/butterfly
> from Release Team.
> (puntual fixes will be allowed/denied with unblock bugs, but probably only for RC bugs).
> You might have changes to see your package go out of Stretch in case the old release gains an RC bug
> and the new release can't migrate to Stretch.
>
> So, your call, I can't know the stability of the tool.

Let's go for a 2.7.1-6 .
Thanks for the explanations once again!

F.