Re: Build-Depends vs Depends

On Jan 3, 2017 9:33 PM, "Paul Wise" <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 1:52 AM, Taylor Kline wrote:

> Thanks, that does help a lot, and it helped me to realize that the packages
> are built on the Debian machines and sent to users already built, so there's
> no need for the users to install the Build-Depends, right?

Right, except users might want to build packages themselves, in that
case they would have to install the Build-Depends on the machine or
chroot where they are doing the building. There are several tools to
setup an isolated environment and install build-depends automatically.

https://wiki.debian.org/sbuild
https://wiki.debian.org/pbuilder
https://wiki.debian.org/cowbuilder
https://wiki.debian.org/qemubuilder
https://packages.debian.org/whalebuilder

There are a few reasons users might want to build packages:

Customising the packages for their needs.

Rebuilding packages against newer versions of dependencies.

Rebuilding packages for older Debian releases.

Verifying that the source corresponds to the binaries:

https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds

Extremely helpful, Paul, thanks so much for clearing that up 😊😊