git-import-orig: work around a .gitignore file ignoring debian/ ?

Hi,

I maintain a package and the latest release tarball from source
unfortunately contains a .gitignore file listing debian/. I can't import
it in my git copy with "gbp import-orig --uscan" and patch it in
debian/patches afterwards, since as soon as the new tarball would be
imported, the whole debian/ directory would be ignored by git (it's a
chicken and egg problem).

Upstream has since removed that file from his GitHub repository and it
won't be a problem for the next release, but still, I have to package
this one for now.

I initially thought to repack the source by slightly modifying
debian/copyright and debian/watch, but many documentations say that
repacking is rarely necessary outside of DFSG-compliance problems. After
a bit fo googling, I couldn't find any kind of document listing the
reasons that are considered as valid for repacking a source.

So my question is: is there a better way to work around this problem, or
is is a valid reason for repacking a source tarball ?

Subsidiary question: if repacking is indeed the way to go, what would be
a good repack suffix ?

Thanks,

--
Raphaël Halimi