Re: Seeking recommendations wrt. target-specific packages

jtc@acorntoolworks.com (J.T. Conklin) writes:

> We are planning on open sourcing and providing a binary repository for
> many of these packages in the next month or so; and I would like to
> deliver something that "makes sense" to Debian users/administrators.

Thank you for taking the time to plan this, and for your work to get
good free software in Debian.

> At some point in the future, if the open source project takes off, it
> may make sense for these components to be part of Debian itself. I
> really appreciate any guidance and assistance you can offer.

The existing Upstream Guide is targeted to assist people developing
works that may be wanted in Debian (we call these people and/or projects
the “upstream” for that work). It gives extensive guidelines for how to
make a work that will integrate well into Debian.

    <URL:https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide>

I haven't read your proposal in depth, but wanted to direct you to that
guide as a good resource you should read and be familiar with.

--
 \       “I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little |
  `\   children jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming. |