Re: help2man usage with pybuild / debhelper packaging workflow

Hello,

On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 06:30:05PM +0200, Christian Seiler wrote:
> Well, you could add a custom target to debian/rules that calls
> help2man for all these scripts - so that you as a maintainer
> can refresh the manpages every now and then. (And store them
> in debian/ in the packaging.)  That way, you don't break cross
> builds (manpages are pre-generated), but still automate it to
> a large extent.

This is what I do with OCRmyPDF: I do a binary package build, install
it, update the manpage, and then prepare a source package for upload to
the archive/mentors.

I disagree that help2man's manpages are always worse than doing
nothing.  I frequently make reference to the ocrmypdf manpage myself and
don't find it lacking!  Each individual help2man manpage should be
evaluated on its own merits; you certainly should read everything it
generates for your 20--30 scripts.

--
Sean Whitton