Re: Uncertain ABI with libags and GSequencer

Hi,

On Wed, 2016-04-20 at 22:46 +0200, Joël Krähemann wrote:
> I'm the developer of Advanced Gtk+ Sequencer or for short gsequencer.
> Now I would like to provide following libraries in a non-standard
> location like /usr/share/gsequencer.
>
> * libags
> * libags-thread
> * libags-server
> * libags-audio
> * libags-gui
> * libgsequencer
>
> I think that libgtk-2.0 initially did the same in its early years
> about 15 years ago. Are there any documents or guidelines to provide
> libraries for debian GNU/Linux? And what if I can't guarantee ABI
> conformance, yet?

Firstly, you should use /usr/lib/gsequencer as the proper place to put
private libraries. /usr/share is for arch-independent files only.

As long as they're private, you can do pretty much what you want with
your libraries. Other Debian packages must not use them however.
Breaking the ABI is also not an issue (for Debian at least).

If you ever want to move them into a public directory you would need to
give them a proper SONAME and make sure the ABI isn't broken regularly.

> What about providing static linked GSequencer since I use it to debug
> the application?

Are you talking about fully statically linked (including static libc
etc) or just statically link against your libraries?

Using static libc is not allowed except in special circumstances. If
it's just your private libraries then you are free to do that if you
want. Is it totally nessesary though? Why can't you debug your
application when it isn't statically linked? Is such a package actually
useful to other people?

James