Re: Seeking guidance re assisting with existing Debian package

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Jeremy Davis

> Anyway, the version of Adminer in Jessie is really old.

That is the expected situation, software in stable is almost never
updated to the latest upstream version, but only gets targeted patches
for security and other important issues.

> there is a newer version uploaded but it is stuck in Sid, I assume due
> to policy bug in the source package. There are additional bugs too that
> will probably need to be tidied up...

According to the PTS/tracker pages, bug #787369 is blocking the
migration of adminer to testing:

https://packages.qa.debian.org/a/adminer.html
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/adminer
https://bugs.debian.org/787369

This bug would appear to be a false positive. The files in question
are part of an embedded code copy called jush (code copies are against
Debian policy and such code should be packaged separately). The files
in the adminer source look the same as the ones in the jush git source
repo so the copy in adminer is probably not obfuscated, minified,
compiled or otherwise less accessible than the original upstream files
from jush. Looking at the code in the jush upstream git repo, only
jush.sh is generated but it is generated from the files that are being
claimed to be lacking sources. I expect the bug reporter simply didn't
put in the time to discover the actual situation in this case. The
modules code is pretty horribly wrapped/formatted but that doesn't
mean it isn't the source.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/jush/
https://sources.debian.net/src/adminer/4.2.1-1/externals/jush/modules/jush-mssql.js/
https://sourceforge.net/p/jush/git/ci/master/tree/modules/jush-mssql.js
https://sourceforge.net/p/jush/git/ci/master/tree/compile.php
https://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedCodeCopies

> -I have literally just sent the email to him; but how long is "long
> enough" to wait on a response? Days? Weeks? Months?

The official documentation on dealing with inactive folks:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch07.en.html#mia-qa

> -is there some "debian" space where I should also post (other than here)
> to find out what is going on? If so where?

The MIA team, see the link above.

> -the packages isn't up for adoption nor is there any request for help
> but perhaps I've missed something somewhere? Is there a really easy way
> to double check the status of a package in that regard that I may have
> missed?

The PTS/tracker pages I linked above.

> -if I don't get a response, what then?

Please let the MIA team know and you can salvage the package by
getting a new upload sponsored (see Ben's link about that) with your
name in the Maintainer field and the former maintainer in the
Uploaders field. Then later drop them from the Uploaders field.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise