Re: Seeking guidance re assisting with existing Debian package

Jeremy Davis <jeremy@turnkeylinux.org> writes:

> -if I don't get a response, what then?

After some weeks of no response, you can request an investigation by the
Missing In Action team who will go through a formal process to determine
whether the maintainer is MIA.

> -if I get a response:
>
>     -should we just discuss things directly between ourselves, or
> should we be working in some open/public/Debian-specific space
> somewhere? Is there some policy or guidelines on this or do we just
> decide ourselves?

That's pretty informal. Debian's Social Contract says we won't hide
problems, so we prefer discussion in public by default.

A good forum is the BTS, and “bug” is interpreted very broadly to mean
something like “any actionable change that someone wants in a package”.

Alioth is a Debian-hosted software collaboration platform that you are
encouraged to use as a default choice.

>     -what is the usual/best way to collaborate on things like this?
> Would you use github? Or is there something different/better?

Alioth <URL:http://alioth.debian.org/> looks ugly, but it is better
because it is free software and the data can all be exported. It is
highly preferable for free software to be developed using free software
workflow tools without vendor lock-in. GitHub fails on those criteria.

The GitLab software is a superior platform and the Debian Project is
currently trialling an instance, but AFAIK it is not quite ready to use.

> Or again do we just work it out ourselves?

Yes, working with workflows that satisfy the people working on it is a
good thing :-)

> Open to any input around this stuff, including links to docs that I
> might have missed etc...

See <URL:http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers> for a good
starting point.

--
 \     “We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. So did the |
  `\   divine right of kings.” —Ursula K. LeGuin, National Book Awards |