Re: ldp-docbook-stylesheets; where to find, how to update

Hi Martin,

>I am a Linux Documentation Project (LDP, a.k.a. TLDP) volunteer.

*wonderful*!

>  * Non-Debian TLDP volunteer would like to update a package
>    ldp-docbook-stylesheets.
>  * Cannot find source code in Debian lands.
>  * Request Debian process guidance.

non-debian means you can't use Debian facilities to get the sources.

e.g. apt-get source packagename
pull-debian-source packagename
dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/ldp-docbook-stylesheets/ldp-docbook-stylesheets_0.0.20040321-3.dsc
(this is available from https://packages.qa.debian.org/l/ldp-docbook-stylesheets.html)

that dsc file contains the links to the sources, that are under the same directory of it

http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/ldp-docbook-stylesheets/

you want the orig tarball

ldp-docbook-stylesheets_0.0.20040321.orig.tar.gz
and
ldp-docbook-stylesheets_0.0.20040321-3.debian.tar.xz
(if you want to look at the debian packaging)

>Longer version:
>---------------
>I have automated the publication of all documentation which has been
>contributed to the TLDP repository.  Before I can complete the
>migration to use the new outputs, I find that there are some updates
>needed to the XSL in the aforementioned ldp-docbook-stylesheets
>package.
>
>By some searching and link-following, I have found the following
>references to the package and/or source of the package:
>
>  https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/ldp-docbook-stylesheets
>  https://packages.qa.debian.org/l/ldp-docbook-stylesheets.html
>  https://sources.debian.net/src/ldp-docbook-stylesheets/0.0.20040321-3/
>
>But, I cannot find the Debian source repository.
>
>Possibly (ir)relevant points:
>
>  * TLDP furnished just the XSL (and DSSSL) files and the user was
>    expected to have the capability to deal with SGML and XML
>    catalogs.
>
>  * In 2004, Frank Lichtenheld (thank you, wherever you are)
>    packaged these and handled the integration on Debian, so that
>    the files "just work".

:) thanks indeed (but we wasn't the *first* uploader! look at debian/changelog)

(he was active a few days ago in debian-www)

>  * Since then, several parameters that are used for print
>    outputs (FO, for consumption by fop) have changed.  Current
>    invocations with the FO stylesheets do not work.
>
>  * I would like to make some other small changes (like referring to
>    a .css file).
>
>  * I'm happy to take over maintenance of this package on behalf of
>    TLDP.
>
>Even though, I have 1) read the Debian Policy Document and 2) the
>Debian Developer's Reference and 3) have been lurking on several of
>the mailing lists (-mentors, -python) for the last few weeks, I am
>still not quite sure where my request fits, nor even how to get
>started.

you need to get in touch with the last uploader of the package

(me in this case)

and mentors is usually fine

>I have figured out what ITP and RFS mean.  But, I am not really in >either of those categories.

ITP is for *new* packages.

RFS is when you want to update the packaging or the package, and you need
a sponsor (because you don't have upload privileges).

>I'm not a Debian developer.  I'm quite comfortable with RPM
>packaging and, though a novice with the array of Debian packaging
>tools, look forward to learning them a bit better.

wonderful!
>  * Where is the source code for this package?
>  * TLDP could, of course, generate an upstream package, or I could

>    simply maintain it in the current location.  Recommendations?

generate your patch,  upstream it, and package the new release.
you can maybe also consider forking the project if you think it
is actually dead upstream, and improve it
>  * Assuming I can adjust the XSL and DSSSL according to my plan,
>    and build a package, someplace... what do I do next?

it really depends on the changes. If you just do bugfixing you can extract
patches, if you plan to make new features, you need to carefully check that they
are compatible with the current packages using it, and then find a sponsor.

good luck!
I would appreciate if some of the previous uploaders could answer you, because I
did just some refactoring of the package, but I don't know it too much.
But lets do that step after you have something to show us ;)

cheers!

Gianfranco