Re: Obsolete NEWS -- delete or append?

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:

> The upstream of a package I maintain, propellor, recently released
> version 3.0.0. Upgrading one's configuration to 3.0.0 from a version
> older than 2.17.2 (the version immediately prior to 3.0.0) required an
> additional step to avoid a problem, so I created a debian/NEWS file
> explaining the situation.

How far has that release progressed? Is it in “experimental”, in
“unstable”, in “testing”, in “stable”?

> Today upstream released 3.0.1 which obviates the need [for the
> information in the NEWS entry].
>
> In preparing 3.0.1 for upload, should I delete debian/NEWS or append
> to it saying "you can ignore this information now"?

If the release with that NEWS entry has progressed no further than
“unstable”, you should just remove it if it's obsolete already. People
tracking “unstable” must accept frequent flux as new versions are
released.

If the release has progressed further, to “testing” or beyond, then
there would be more weight given to how much we can expect people to
have taken that NEWS entry's information when upgrading.

--
 \         “If history and science have taught us anything, it is that |
  `\     passion and desire are not the same as truth.” —E. O. Wilson, |