Program upgrade directly from upstream

Hi mentors,

I'm packaging the package Selektor (ITP) [1] that has a particular behavior that I have doubts.

When program runs it checks for new version from upstream. When there are new version,
it suggests and download a new version directly from upstream by a user decision.

In my opinion it's not the best practices but I don't know how can I solve this.

I searched at upstream guide and New maintainers guide without success.

Can you help me indicating documentation, examples and/or best solution?

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=805188

Thanks.

[]'s
kretcheu