Distinguishing native package / package with upstream

Hello,

this might sound like a trick question: What is the reliable method
to tell whether a certain Debian package is native, or has been taken
from an upstream?

Until today I thought the version number was a sane indicator: If it
contains a hyphen, it's a package with upstream. Otherwise it's native.
My understanding of policy 5.6.12 supports this.

Then I stumbled across a package that has in its .dsc file:

| Format: 1.0
| Source: package-name
| (...)
| Version: 4.3.2-1
| (...)
| Files:
|  0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef 12345 package-name_4.3.2-1.tar.gz

While the version number contains a hyphen it's certainly native.
Additionally, the upload was quite recently (in fall 2016) so it's not a
legacy from the old rough times.

So, in order to decide native/with upstream, do I really have to take
a look into the .dsc file? Or is the above something that should not
happen?

    Christoph