Re: Maintaining C++ library symbols control file with unstable mangled symbols

On 02/12/16 18:11, Jérémy Lal wrote:
On 02/12/16 16:36, lumin wrote:
Hi mentors,

I need advise on the way maintaining symbols control file when
the mangled C++ symbols are unstable.

I'm maintaining a package named "Caffe". I migrated the same
source from experimental to unstable, and it FTBFS'ed as you
see at [0], due to the mangled C++ symbols change. Actually
this package FTBFS'ed many times in the history due to
symbols change. (I have no e.g. ppc64el machine, hence
unable to test before upload)

Stopping you right there. Maintaining C++ symbols is notoriously painful,
and I was advised back in my early packaging days to just avoid it.

Perhaps things have changed since, and other people might disagree.
dh-acc and abi-compliance-checker might help you maintain your own
soname. Nothing guaranteed, though.

Jérémy

In the Debian GIS Team we have quite a few C++ library packages where the symbols are managed using pkgkde_symbolshelper (https://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/symbolfiles.html).

It involves a trip via experimental to pickup all the symbol changes on all architectures that are built for experimental by the buildd machines.

Cheers,

Ross