Re: Modernizing the upstream tarball without version number change

Mattia Rizzolo wrote...

> Personally, I'd just repack, appending +ds to the upstream version.
> I find switching compression scheme just for the sake of repacking, an
> ugly hack; I really really prefer to be shipping whatever upstream
> provided me, and if I can't/don't want to do so I want that information
> to be clearly visible, in this case in the form of a modified version.

Thanks, this seems a sound concept.

> > [1] In my opinion, every file in the Debian repositories that carries a
> >     version number should have unique content over all the time. I found
> >     some histor[ic] .dsc files on snapshot.d.o that violate this idea, but
> >     I think I should not extend that list.
>
> you really found such things?
> 'cause really a file once stored in the archive really can't change.
> At least, as long as that file is known to dak, it can't change, once a
> distribution is archived you theoretically could upload the same
> filename with different content.

See http://snapshot.debian.org/package/file/4.17-5etch2/ :)

I guess this could happen since one upload was for debian (presumably
stable-proposed-updates), the other one for debian-security. Still I'd
recommend not to try this again.

    Christoph