Re: which license to use

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Gustavo S. L. wrote:

> I'm packing the gifshuffle software.
> source:http://www.darkside.com.au/gifshuffle/ almost all files appear
> to be public domain. but to do it: egrep -sriA25 --with-filename
> '(public dom|copyright)' I found a file mentioning the gif.

It appears that the only mention of the public domain is on the
website. This may be good enough for the Debian FTP team, but it would
be best to have upstream add a license grant.

Please be aware that gif.c references giftoppm and its license, so be
sure to include that in debian/copyright.

> after reading this article I was afraid:
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

You may have missed the header and the footnote, which say that all
the GIF patents are expired after 2006 and that we are well clear of
any legal threat from the GIF patents.

--
bye,
pabs