Re: Help with shlibs system

Hi,

On Mon, 2016-07-18 at 12:48 +0200, Peter Spiess-Knafl wrote:
> I would need some advice about the following bug:
>
> Stephen mentioned there I should provide a shlibs minimum version.
> I am not entirely sure what that means.
> Do I need to put a file under debian/shlibs with the following line?
>
> libjsoncpp 1 libjsoncpp1
>
> dh_makeshlibs creates exactly such a file under
> debian/libjsoncpp1/DEBIAN/shlibs.
>
> What am I missing here?

An "shlibs minimum version" is a change to the shlibs/symbols control
files which causes reverse dependencies to emit something like
'Depends: libjsoncpp1 (>= XX)' instead of 'Depends: libjsoncpp1'

To do this you can either add a symbols file (this is documented in
policy), or override dh_makeshlibs with 'dh_makeshlibs -Vversion' if
you want to use a simple shlibs file. See dh_makeshlibs(1).

Symbols files are usually better since you get more fine grained
control of dependencies, but they take a lot more time to maintain
(especially for C++ libraries).

James