Re: Package Naming

Hi Benda,

Benda Xu <heroxbd@gentoo.org> writes:
> I am packaging a library called "casacore" which provides
>
>   libcasa_python3.so.2 and libcasa_python.so.2
>
> with SONAME=2.
>
> How should them be named when the python major version and SONAME could
> cause confusion?

Since noone had a good idea here, I would propose to rename the Python
2 variant of the library to libcasa_python2.so.2. Then the package names
can be formally created:

libcasa-python32 for the Python 3 variant, and
libcasa-python22 for the Python 2 variant.

One could also be lazy, just keep the library names as they are, and
use the formally created names:

libcasa-python32 for the Python 3 variant, and
libcasa-python2  for the Python 2 variant.

Cheers

Ole