Re: Package Naming

On 2016-05-11 03:41, Benda Xu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am packaging a library called "casacore" which provides
>
>   libcasa_python3.so.2 and libcasa_python.so.2
>
> with SONAME=2.
>
> How should them be named when the python major version and SONAME could
> cause confusion?
>
> I can think of
>
>   libcasa2-python3 vs libcasa2-python
>
> or
>
>   libcasa-python3-2 vs libcasa-python-2
>
> or
>
>   python3-libcasa2 vs python-libcasa2
>
> or
>
>   python3-casacore2 vs python-casacore2

According to the Debian Python Policy [1] and assuming from [2] that the
module name is "casacore", the name should be:

Python2: python-casacore
Python3: python3-casacore

After all, one would "import casacore", and not "import casacore2".

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-module_packages.html#s-package_names
[2] http://casacore.github.io/python-casacore/

Regards,
Christian