Re: Private Debian package: Quilt | git | add files to package

Hi Denny,

(I am resending because I forgot to add mentors in the reply)

Il 10/mag/2016 10:02, "Denny Fuchs" <linuxmail@4lin.net <mailto:linuxmail@4lin.net>> ha scritto:

> I trying to create a own private Debian package which mostly worked [...] until I wanted to add a file (an example Apache configuration). Now it fails ... and I don't get
it in the right way.

> dpkg-source: info: local changes detected, the modified files are:
>  sandbox_simulators/apache.conf
> dpkg-source: error: aborting due to unexpected upstream changes, see /tmp/sandbox-simulators_1.0-4.diff.NYXrUc

No changes are allowed to files outside the debian/ directory. So it seems that you changed and commited sandbox_simulators/apache.conf, making it different with respect to
what you have in the tarball file.

In practice, before building the package, with all patches removed, you have to grant that all the files outside of the debian directory are exactly as they are in the
tarball (with a few exceptions, like .gitignore file).

> I red (somewhere), that a Git commit (the new file for example) has to be added via a (quilt) patch

I never tried, but, as soon as quilt pop -a, makes the changes outside the debian directory go away, it should work. I suggest to avoid commit files outside the debian
directory anyway.

> In the Makefile (also a quilt patch, to copy all files to the right place ...), I tried to copy the created apache.conf file to /usr/share/doc/<something>/apache.conf.example

Here I do not get... What Makefile?
Anyway I think you may have a look at dh_install and dh_installdocs.
You can just add the file somewhere in the debian directory and add <package>.install and <package>.docs to install them in the proper location.

> My last Howto: http://www.lpenz.org/articles/debgit/

> Any suggestions are welcome :-)

I just had a quick look at it. The prerequisites you listed are not needed for the tutorial. And their descriptions can be improved and made more general.

The tutorial is mixing at least two roles: upstream developer and debian packager. These roles have different goals and operates in different ways. So, I suggest to make it
clear in the tutorial, and start thinking that, as a Debian package,r you are not going to develop the software itself: you have a tarball and you have to package the
tarball. When upstream will release new tarballs, you will package them. Your goal is to simplify system administration.

Please add relevant documentation from Debian. At least the debian policy and, as you are targeting upstream developers: https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide

Regarding this last document, please, read it and try to review your tutorial according to it. I think small practical examples are useful, as long as they do not conflict
with reference guidelines.

Cheers,
Giulio