Re: package stuck in unstable after switching to AutomaticDebugPackages

James Cowgill:
> Hi,

Hi,

> On Sun, 2016-05-08 at 20:17 +0200, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> gearmand package has stuck in unstable due to missing -dbg packages:
>>
>>  https://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=gearmand
>>
>> The debug packages were removed after switching to automatic debug
>> packages [0].
>>
>> How do I force the migration ?  What is the right way to switch to
>> automatic -dbgsym packages ?
>
> It's not migrating because the old dbg packages are still in sid.

I suspect you may be right about that though it is not clear to me that
we agree on why. :)  So I'll just clarify one point:

The note from testing.pl is (now) just an informational message.  Have a
look at [1], which notes the following items of interest:

 - "Valid candidate" => Nothing listed is a blocker for migration
 - "old binaries left ... (but ignoring cruft, so nevermind)"
   (which is the part where this is just an informational message)

It does not migrate currently because it would make things
uninstallable.  Admittedly, I did a TL;DR on the britney log, so I don't
know the details and you could be right about the old "-dbg" causing the
issue.

(Mind you, in the "old" days, Britney would ignore the package until had
been decrufted)

> Usually stuff like this is removed automatically by dak's auto
> decrufter but apparently not this time.

Hmm, apparently the auto-decrufter thinks that the removal of
libgearman7-dbg would break libgearman-dbg.  I suspect part of the issue
is that libgearman-dbg is an arch:all package (which has a different
heuristic for depending when it should be decrufted).

> If you file a NBS removal bug against ftp.debian.org then the package
> should migrate after the dbg packages are removed manually.
>
> James

I agree that it would probably help. :)

Thanks,
~Niels