Re: Package maintainers, I feel like such an outsider

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 07:54:32PM +0000, Wayne Booth wrote:
> Recently, I found that one of the libraries I use has just dropped off the
> Debian repositories (
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=751916). This kills the
> USP for my application. I can provide a .deb to my users for my app, but
> cannot for the requisite libraries.

For the value of "just" of "two years ago".

> So, my question is this. Is there anything I can do, as someone with no
> special merit or connections at Debian, but with time, technical skill and
> the motivation to see this happen, to get the "pHash" re-included into the
> repositories?

libphash was removed due to lack of maintenance in Debian, not because of
being dead in general -- at the time, it had an active upstream.  I see that
the last upstream version is 3 years old now, though.  This is not a
show-stopper, but you need to be prepared to fix issues yourself if upstream
won't do so in a timely matter.

> (I originally posted this question on debian-users (
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/04/msg00947.html), who suggested
> it was more appropriately directed here. There was also some interesting
> feedback from 'Thomas Schmitt', who suggested that if I could fix the
> outstanding bugs, and bring the code up to the current upstream version,
> things would get moving. I can certainly do that, but wouldn't know how to
> progress from there.)

You need to either step up as a maintainer of libphash or find someone to
maintain it for you.  If, as you say, you already provide .deb packages
outside Debian, and have time and motivation, you're in a good position to
become such a maintainer yourself.

The process for reintroducing a removed package is same as for adding a new
one: please file an ITP ("reportbug wnpp").  Most ITPs go unopposed, but
it's possible someone may raise an issue (in this case, perhaps because of
reasons libphash was removed for).

Once that's done, and you have a version ready for upload (don't hesitate to
ask here if you have some problems!), you may request sponsoring the upload
("reportbug sponsorship-requests").

--
A tit a day keeps the vet away.