Re: if a changelog is on a wiki, does the debian package need a local version?

* Nicholas D Steeves <nsteeves@gmail.com>, 2016-04-24, 08:02:
If a package's changelog is published on a wiki, is it still necessary and/or desirable to ship a changelog with the Debian package?

It's not strictly necessary, but it is desirable.

If yes, is something like the following the best solution:

curl https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Changelog | html2text | sed '0,/(announcement)/d;/By version (linux kernel)/Q' | gzip -9 > debian/local/changelog.gz

You should probably pass -n to gzip; or even better, let dh_compress gzip it for you.

Or is it the case, from what I've read here:
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s-changelogs

that the following is preferred?:
curl https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Changelog | gzip -9 > debian/local/changelog.html.gz

I wouldn't bother providing HTML version of the changelog.

Given standards-version 3.9.7, this has to be done when preparing a new version of the package, and not when building, correct?

That's right.

install -D -m 644 debian/local/changelog.html.gz debian/btrfs-progs/usr/share/doc/btrfs-progs/changelog.html.gz

I'd recommend using dh_installchangelogs for this job.

If the upstream changelog was specific to just btrfs-progs, then I would use the html version without question; however, because a substantial portion of it does not pertain to the btrfs-progs package itself, I wonder it's better to convert to text and cut the non-applicable sections...

Sounds reasonable.

--
Jakub Wilk