gbp import-orig maybe ignores .gitattributes?

Hi!

I am currently having troubles packaging the new upstream version of
libjsoncpp.

https://github.com/open-source-parsers/jsoncpp

I downloaded the newest upstream version using uscan and used gbp
import-orig to import the downloaded tarball.

Now I recognize that there are some Visual Studio files in it which have
CRLF lineendings in the tarball but LF line endings in the checkout
working directory.

dpkg-source complains during package built that the working directory
does not comply with the downloaded tarball.

Upstream does provide a .gitattributes file which takes care of this
problem. However gbp import-orig somehow seems to ignore this.

Can someone give me a hint what I am doing wrong?

Thank you and greetings
Peter