Re: Generate install list during package build?

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Mike Purvis wrote:

> I have a large DSC that aggregates sources from many repos (dozens),
> does a single big CMake-based build, and currently produces two debs,
> bigpackage-dev (the "include" path), and bigpackage (everything else).

I'm assuming that this isn't going into the Debian archive, I think we
would generally package each upstream project/repo separately.

> I'd like to partition the resulting workspace into more pieces, but
> the only way to do so would be to generate the the lists of install
> files/paths as one of the outputs from the build itself. I assume this
> is not possible, since bigpackage.install and bigpackage-dev.install
> are part of the debian metadata archive and therefore locked down at
> dsc creation time. My reading of the control files documentation seems
> to support this view.

There are a few ways I think it would be possible to do this.

The first is just putting directories into the install files:

bigpackage.install: /usr/bin
bigpackage-dev.install: /usr/include

The second is that you can use wildcards in install files:

bigpackage.install: /usr/bin/bigpackage
bigpackage-extra.install: /usr/bin/bigpackage-stuff-*

The third is that dh-exec enables executable .install files that can
calculate what to install at package build time.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise