Re: don't use sbuild --dist/-d and other sbuild stuff (was: Re: Questions before my first upload attempt)

* Johannes Schauer <josch@debian.org>, 2015-08-31, 15:53:
From now on, "sbuild --dist sid --arch amd64 path/to/my.dsc" works.

It must be mentioned that a common problem with sbuild is, that the .changes file it generates will have a *different* distribution from the one you set in debian/changelog if you use the --dist or -d option! If sbuild changed the value of the distribution field in the .changes file, it will do so in *red* but it is still easy to miss this.

The *right* thing to do is to choose the chroot with the -c or --chroot option. The -d or --dist option will do the same job, but the side effect that it changes the distribution field in the .changes file it creates can be a very dangerous one.

So please don't further advertise the -d or --dist option anymore if you actually want to use the -c or --chroot option instead!

Um, except that -d/--dist is obligatory. Without it you get:

No distribution defined

--
Jakub Wilk