Re: Questions before my first upload attempt

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am the upstream developer of freshly orphaned packages
> libburn4, libisofs6, libisoburn1, cdrskin, and xorriso.
> Now preparing to get them in shape for sponsorship and
> for closing old bug reports.

Thanks for taking time to improve debian!

>   So is there a way to do my packaging work in Debian 8.1 ?
>   (The PackagingTutorial says i shall write "9" into
>    debian/compat. Is that enough of a sid ?)
No, this is unrelated. debian/compat is about which version of
debhelper to is used. Read about pbuilder.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/build.en.html#pbuilder

>   Else: Is there a shortcut description how to quickly set up
>   Debian package development in a virtual machine and how
>   to keep it up to date ?
>   (Hardware is plenty but my own VM scripts date back to Debian 6.)
>
> - I still did not find a hands-on description of fulfilling
>   the demand of http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers:
>     "All packages must be signed with the GnuPG key you configured
>      in your control panel."

Use debuild -S (for source packages) or debuild -b (for binary
packages). It should ask for your signature when you are finished. In
fact I never use   dpkg-buildpackage, debuild also runs lintian checks
which spot many common errors.

Kind Regards,
Johan