Re: RFS: Looking for a mentor for my dspdfviewer package

Hi Danny
(sending privately)

please do *not* use cdbs :)

It will scare you away!

I do not like it, dh is really better, and fortunately people are switching to dh :)

cheers,

G.

Il Giovedì 6 Agosto 2015 16:57, Danny Edel <debian@danny-edel.de> ha scritto:
Hello Gianfranco,

On 06/08/15 16:16, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> Reading symbols from /usr/bin/dspdfviewer...Reading symbols from
> /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/c2/c35e6f96f063aff4e0d6e3e644855c31b11a0f.debug...done.

Ah yes, it says something like that for me now too, once I install
dspdfviewer-dbg. Success!

> let's wait for unstable/testing to have some people feedbacks

While I may be a little bit scared, I'm really looking forward to that
part : )

> thanks to you for the good package and your nice contribution to
> Debian!

I think the entire open source concept is great - instead of
re-inventing the wheel, I could simply link a couple of libraries (which
were in Debian) together and create the program I needed.

Now I finally managed to give back to that pool, and I hope the program
will help someone on their Bachelor thesis or similar presentation,
saving them from re-inventing the wheel in turn.

> I see you did a really good job, and the package was already in a
> good shape, my suggestions were mostly cosmetic.
>
> I have one more suggestion: please consider having an
> package.install file instead of overriding dh_auto_install, the same
> for the dh_installdocs
>
> (the respective manpages can help you).

Those sections were directly cut-and-paste from the Debian wiki at
https://wiki.debian.org/DebugPackage.

So if there's a better way to handle -dbg packages with debhelper 9,
this documentation site should be updated too.
It also seems that the CDBS software is designed to do the splitting of
"main" and "debug" binary package with one command. I will read into
CDBS aswell, maybe I can simplify debian/rules by using that.

I will report back once I find out more.

> I guess this will simplify the packaging, but it is a matter of "de
> gustibus".
>
> I hope to see your contributions again, I enjoyed your packaging, I
> hope to see you as Maintainer or Developer one day :) (let me know
> if you want to work on some packages, I can review them also
> privately or through the list)
>
> cheers!
>
> Gianfranco

Thank you very much. I wouldn't mind helping out when I can. I'll go
through the wnpp list, see if anything I am actively using asks for
help, and communicate with you about the details.

PS: You don't have to CC me for on-list-mails either, I have
debian-mentors subscribed aswell.

--
Cheers

Danny