Re: pdebuild cowbuilder doesn't resolve build-deps

Hi Francesco,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 8:20 AM, Francesco De Vita <fradev@inventati.org> wrote:
> Hello
>
> On 22/03/2015 17:43, Francesco De Vita wrote:
>> I'm testing a change I made on the source package kde4libs but I'm
>> encountering a problem using cowbuilder in building the debian binary
>> package. To localize the problem I made a simple test case without
>> applying any changes in the source package.
>>
>> If I compile the source package with:
>>  $ sudo -E cowbuilder --build kde4libs_4.14.2-5.dsc
>>
>> everything goes ok and I get the .deb packages.
>>
>> But if I extract the source package and start the compilation inside
>> the extracted directory with:
>>  $ sudo -E pdebuild --pbuilder cowbuilder --debbuildopts -sa
>>
>> then the process aborts when it checks build-deps.
>> Here [1] the detailed output of the above command.
>>
>> I'd expect to see the same behaviour with both commands, but in the
>> first case cowbuilder solves the build-deps correctly invoking
>> /usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-satisfydepends, instead in the second case
>> it does not.
>>
>> [1] https://paste.debian.net/162544/
>
> I did other tests but I didn't find a solution to my problem.
>
> Shortly (see details in the OP):
> - "sudo -E cowbuilder --build kde4libs_4.14.2-5.dsc" OK
> - "sudo -E pdebuild --pbuilder cowbuilder" inside source dir FAILS
>
> The same test succeeds in both cases with the sources of other
> applications.
>
> So what's wrong? It can't be a FTBFS of the source package
> kde4libs because the first command succeeds. But I don't understand
> if it's a specific issue of pdebuild with cowbuilder because it
> correctly works with the sources of other applications.

I don't have the source package in front of me so I can't say for
sure, but my first (and only) guess for why this would happen is if
the package's clean target has additional dependencies (which don't
actually need to be declared in build-depends) that you don't have
installed; hence the first command succeeds, but the latter fails. If
you want to call pdebuild from within the source dir in this case, use
the --use-pdebuild-internal flag.

Regards,
Vincent